Presentation about Nalbandyan street
Nalbandyan Street is named after the Armenian writer and poet Mikael Nalbandyan. Previously, the street was called Suleimanhanovskaya, in 1870 — Governor’s street, in 1884 — Arshak Ter-Gukasyan street, in 1920 — Azatamartikner street, and since 1921 — Mikael Nalbandyan street. Previously, the street was located in the central part of Yerevan, in the historical zone. It was one of the main thoroughfares of the city and was part of the regular plan of the three-lane system. It started from Shahumyan Square, stretching to the north east, with a slight slope towards Astafyan Street, connecting the fortress, the Trade Square with the central apartments.
There are some Significant buildings in this street. One them is.
• Metro station «Republic Square»
«Republic Square» (formerly called «Lenin Square»), Yerevan metro station, opened on December 26, 1981. The station is located in Kentron community of Yerevan, Street Nalbandyan is the 3rd building of the government, the library named after Isahakyan, Vernissage. It is named after the main square of Yerevan. Until 1992, it bore the name of Vladimir Lenin. This is a joint work of Jim Torosyan and Mkrtich Minasyan in 1983. He was awarded the State Prize of the Armenian SSR.
• House-Museum of Alexander Spendiaryan
The House-Museum of Alexander Spendiaryan was founded in 1963 by the decision of the Chairman of the Council of Ministers of the Armenian SSR Anton Kochinyan it was the house where Alexander Spendiaryan lived in the last years of his life, from 1926 to 1928.
• Monument to Mikhail Nalbandyan
The monument to Mikhail Nalbandyan is located in the center of Yerevan, at the end of Ring Park Street, and was erected in 1965. It is included in the list of monuments in Yerevan.
• Monument to Andrei Sakharov.
Andrei Sakharov’s monument is located in the center of Yerevan, on Sakharov Square (Nalbandyan Street), was installed in 2001. It is included in the list of monuments in Yerevan too.
Mashtots is an avenue in the central Kentron district of Yerevan. The inauguration has been at 1924. Until 1990 it was known as Lenin Avenue. Now it is named after Mesrop Mashtots, who was an early medieval Armenian linguist, composer, theologian, statesman and hymnologist. He is best known for inventing the Armenian alphabet.
The avenue starts from the Victory Bridge at the south and ends up with the Matenadaran museum to the north. The whole length of Mashtots Avenue is 2.6 km.
Many prominent buildings in the city of Yerevan are located on the Mashtots Avenue. Here they are:
- Blue Mosque (1768)
The Blue Mosque is an 18th-century Shia mosque in Yerevan, Armenia. It was commissioned by Huseyn Ali Khan, the khan of Erivan. It is one of the oldest extant structures in central Yerevan and the most significant structure from the city’s Iranian period. It was the largest of the eight mosques of Yerevan in the 19th century and is today the only active mosque in Armenia. The mosque was secularized in the 1920s and housed the History Museum of Yerevan for more than five decades. Following Armenia’s independence, the mosque was renovated with the support from the Iranian government and again started operating as a mosque, serving the Iranians residing in Yerevan.
- Eduard Isabekyan Gallery (2007)
Edvard Isabekyan gallery was founded in 2004 and opened in 2013. Edvard Isabekyan’s son Aram Isabekyan has donated 28 of Edvard’s well known paintings to the city of Yerevan that were presented in his permanent exhibition. Irina Isabekyan has been the director of the gallery since its opening. Edvard Isabekyan’s art is being displayed on the both floors of the gallery. On the circular shaped top floor are his large epical paintings. The painter’s view on history transforms today power, pride, virility and the spirit of past victory. Edvard Isabekyan’s gallery is actively involved in Yerevan’s cultural life. The gallery’s director Irina Isabekyan organizes events, lectures and meetings that are aimed to discover Edvard Isabekyan as a painter, writer, educator, caring citizen but foremost as a patriot.
- Yerevan Opera Theater (1933)
Armenian National Academic Theatre of Opera and Ballet named after Alexander Spendiaryan. was officially opened on 20 January 1933, with Alexander Spendiaryan’s Almast opera performance. The opera building was designed by the Armenian architect Alexander Tamanian. It consists of two concert halls: the Aram Khatchaturian concert hall with 1,400 seats and the Alexander Spendiaryan Opera and Ballet National Theatre with 1,200 seats.
- Nairi Cinema (1954)
Nairi Cinema is the second-largest cinema hall in the Armenian capital of Yerevan. Opened in 1920, Nairi Cinema is the oldest movie theatre in Yerevan. The original building was located on Amiryan street until the 1950s when it was moved to the current building on Mahstots Avenue. The first ever produced Soviet-Armenian movie Zaré was shown in the cinema in 1926.The current building of the cinema was constructed between 1952 and 1954 and consists of two halls. It was designed by architect Alexander Tamanian.
- Matenadaran (1959)
The Matenadaran officially the Mesrop Mashtots Institute of Ancient Manuscripts,is a museum, repository of manuscripts, and a research institute in Yerevan, Armenia. It is the world’s largest repository of Armenian manuscripts. It was established in 1959 on the basis of the nationalized collection of the Armenian Church, formerly held at Etchmiadzin. Its collection has gradually risen since its establishment, mostly from individual donations. One of the most prominent landmarks of Yerevan, it is named after Mesrop Mashtots, the inventor of the Armenian alphabet, whose statue stands in front of the building.
- Yerevan State Marionettes Theater (1987)
The Yerevan State Marionette Theater was founded in 1987. It was the third one in the territory of the former USSR (after similar theaters of Leningrad, now St Petersburg and Tbilisi) and the first one, which staged performances both for adults and for children. The first performance was «The three piglets». After the first success there were difficulties both in artistic and in financial life of the theater.
On October 27, 1963, the opening ceremony of Sayat-Nova’s Memorial took place near the music school named after the singer, late on it became inseparable part of the avenue. The end of the avenue was named Lermontov Street in honor of Russian poet Mikhail Lermontov during Soviet years, which was connected with the avenue after Armenia’s independence, The length of the avenue is 1600 meters.
Sayat-Nova (Harutyun (Arutin) Sayadyan, is a famous Armenian poet-troubadour of the 18th century, who is the founder of a new folk-troubadour school, the eastern type.
The monument of Komitas was erected in 1988. It is included in the list of historical and cultural monuments of Kentron administrative district of Yerevan. The monument is made of bronze and granite, the height of it is 3 meters.Komitas statue’s unveiling took place on January 8, 1988. This is Ara Harutyunyan’s last work.
In 90s when the North Avenue was not existing and the Cascade was ruined the people’s dating place was Yerevan State Conservatory after Komitas. It was founded in 1923 as a music higher education institution. In 1946 it was named after Komitas.
Arno Babajanyan, Vardan Achemyan, Tigran Mansuryan, Lusine Zakaryan and many other famous people studied here. More than 5,800 musicians graduated from the conservatory during its existence.
If we start Sayat-Nova Avenue from French Square, the first thing that catches our eye is of course the Aram Khachaturian’s monument , which is located in front of “Aram Khachaturian” big concert hall. The monument is made of bronze and granite, the height of this pedestal is 3.5 meters. The solemn opening ceremony of the monument took place on July 31, 1999.
At the Abovyan / Sayat-Nova crossroads is the Church of Holy Mother of God (Katoghike), one of the oldest chapels and churches in Yerevan. It has never been destroyed, even during the earthquake of 1679.
Khanjyan street is in the middle of Yerevan in the administrative district. It was named after the Armenian revolutionary, 1932-1936 First Secretary of the Central Committee of the KPA Aghasi Khanjyan. It starts from Tigran the Great avenue and stretches to Nalbandian Street. It is crossed with Tchaikovsky Street, Pavstos Buzand Street, Vardanants Street, Tumanyan Street and Sayat-Nova Avenue.
Now I gonna tell about buildings, which are situated on this street.
- At the beginning of the street is the Armenian State Pedagogical University named after Khachatur Abovyan. It’s a state university and a higher education institution based in Yerevan. Founded in 1922, the university is specialized in pedagogy and the preparation of teaching staff. The current rector of the university is professor Ruben Mirzakhanyan.
- The next one is Manuk Abeghyan Basic High School number 3. The University of Architecture and Construction, a high school in the Center administrative district of Yerevan. The school was built in 1933 and is called armenologist, public figure, literary critic, philologist, academician of the Academy of Sciences of the Armenian SSR Manuk Abegyan.
- Then is The State Song Theater of Armenia. Founded in 1994 April 1 in Yerevan — as a result of the reorganization by the State Jazz Orchestra of Armenia. The composer Artur Grigoryan, who had previously been the artistic director of the State Jazz Orchestra of Armenia, was appointed artistic director of the theater. The theater was engaged in concert activities, the development of the musical genre, the discovery of talented youth, stage education. The artistic staff of the theater has toured in the USA, Russia, France, Bulgaria, Australia, Iran and other countries, performed charity concerts for orphanages and disabled children in Armenia.
Football Federation of Armenia
- Football Federation of Armenia was established on January 18, 1992. The Chairman of the Federation is Armen Melikbekyan. The FFA develops current and prospective programs for the development of football in the republic, organizes the preparation of national teams of the republic for various international competitions. The FFA unites regional federations, football clubs, sports schools, sports centers, branches, cooperates with the Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs of the Republic of Armenia. The Federation has a branch whose activities are aimed at women’s football.
Office of the Honorary Consul of Spain in Yerevan
- Office of the Honorary Consul of Spain in Yerevan. Honorary Consul: Mrs. Armine Adamyan.
Tigran Petrosyan Chess House
- Tigran Petrosyan Chess House. it was opened in 1970. Since 1984, it has been named after the 9th World Chess champion Tigran Petrosyan. It is included in the list of immovable historical and cultural monuments of Kentron administrative district of Yerevan. A bust of a talented chess player (sculptor Ara Shiraz, architect Karlen Ananyan, 1989) is installed next to Tigran Petrosyan’s Chess House. The championships take place in Armenian Chess Federation. Since 1971, Henrik Gasparyan’s Chess School is here. Tigran Petrosyan’s Chess House is located in the center of Yerevan, in the cyrcle park, at 50 Khanjyan Street.